Once just a myth from Back to the Future, hoverboards are very much a must-have toy for any kid in 2021. It can be quite hard working out what are the best hoverboards for kids with so many things to consider, be it safety, looks and maximum speeds.
Taking these all into consideration are vital when looking for hoverboards or balancing scooters as there are plenty of options to choose from. We’ve done the research however to give you the lowdown on all the best hoverboards available in the market and ensure your kids get the best ride in town.
- Suitable for all ages
- LED lights still flash when music isn’t playing
- Rubber wheels give good grip and balance
- Poor Battery Life
- Speaker quality fairly average
- Good Battery Life
- Sturdy Build
- Training mode included for new riders
- Short Warranty
- Poor Customer Service
Best Hoverboards for Kids in [current_year]
Tips for Buying
There are many things you need to consider when searching for the best hoverboards for kids as this will determine just how what and where they will predominantly use the device. Many mini hoverboards for kids will have features that amplify their main purpose and consider this wisely before making any purchase. Some things to look out for can include:
We know that kids can go anywhere in a matter of minutes and you will want to know that their hoverboard is up to the task if they go out. Not all boards are designed for use in rugged terrain or areas that aren’t particularly smooth as it could cause potentially serious damage. To overcome the issue with their hoverboard or balancing scooter, you can check for some things such as:
- Tires – Check to see if the tires are strong enough to resist damage from rocks, stones or anything that can cause a puncture
- Water Resistance – Look to see if the board is waterproof or water-resistant to avoid any damage to the internal electronics
- Grippy Footpads: Ensure that when you do your scooter check that the body has grippy rubber footpads to give extra stability on bumpy surfaces.
By taking this all into account, you can rest assured knowing that your children’s hoverboard will come back intact no matter where it might have been.
Like any other device, you need to put some consideration into the weight load of the scooter as it can have a dramatic impact on the overall performance of the hoverboard itself. Each hoverboard comes with a recommended weight limit as exceeding these may impact the speed and battery life of the board itself and risk potentially damaging it beyond repair. Of course, there are some things to take into consideration to avoid this issue such as:
- Age – This might sound obvious but some models will be tailored for different audiences. If the weight loads are typically smaller in range and lighter in scale, they may only be suitable for kids who may be 10 years old or younger. On the other side, more powerful and durable mini hoverboards will have limits for children 12 years old or over and have more generous weight limits attached.
- Style: The design and style of the mini hoverboard will also have an impact on the possible weight load too. If it’s not a heavy-duty model, then expect a lighter weight limit to be attached on it.
- Power: If a balancing hoverboard is not very powerful, then it will likely have a lower weight limit attached to allow the rider to get more from it. It also means that more powerful scooters are likely to have higher limits as they can be pushed that much further.
If you have the understanding of how the weight of the rider impacts the purpose and performance of the device itself, then you will be able to discover the best hoverboard for your child’s needs and help them get the most from the experience.
Whilst searching for the best hoverboard for kids and channeling your inner Marty McFly, you need to find models that blend substance with style. With that in mind, we have gone for the TOMOLOO Hoverboard and LED lights as it gives you everything you need in one package. Whether it is the LED-wheels synced to your favourite songs or the grippy wheels and lightweight body perfect for use in all conditions, it allows your child to use it anywhere, anytime.
Not to be outdone though, the Razer Hovertrax 2.0 is a worthwhile investment thanks to its strong build and dedicated training mode as is the SISIGAD Balancing Scooter thanks to its manoeuvrability and large body. In the end though, no matter what choice you make, you will sure to find the best hoverboard for kids somewhere in our selection no matter what they have in mind for it.
There have been occasions in the media where freak accidents have featured mini hoverboards but these toys are 100% safe to use. All hoverboard and balancing scooter manufacturers have designed their products to meet regulatory standards and have been given certification to prove this. Alongside that, some models have garnered extra certifications (such as waterproofing grades) to allow them to be designed for use in multiple environments safely and without incident.
Whilst it may look difficult at first, the riding techniques are quite easy to get a hang of. Many models now come with a built-in training mode that allows the user to get familiar with riding it and operate at lower speeds before operating it at full capacity. By getting the most out of these introductory modes when doing your initial scooter check, you will pick everything up in no time at all.
Like any battery-operated device, the actual battery life of your mini hoverboard or balancing scooter will depend on how you use it. Using it at full speed for minutes at a time will rapidly deplete the battery as will riding it on surfaces or inclines that it may not be capable of handling. Always use the hoverboard in areas and locations that are well-suited for their design to maximise the overall battery life of the product.